Thursday, September 22, 2005

Finally! We are back. 2-4 PM Today


Random thoughts following our grueling two hour show today: Fan Girl Photo of the day includes from left to right: Chloe and Tina... best friends???
New stat of the week, heading into the weekend-ASU has thrown the ball 126 times and given up just ONE sack-USC and WSU have given up just two... And to make that worse, OSU is last in the Pac-10 with just three sacks in three games.... I think I LOVE ASU and the 6.5 point spread.... Looking for a reason to think Oregon may win??? Field position could come into play and USC's all-everything punter Tom Malone is still banged up, but don't get too excited since the Trojans have punted just once a game in their three games played.... If their true backup punter doesn't travel, Superman himself Reggie Bush would be the backup punter.... Pete Carroll says the crowd at Autzen is no big deal, but he still had noise pumped into the practices this week.... One more reason to HATE THE BIG 12 is Texas Tech playing not just one, but TWO 1-AA teams in non-conference play, with the only game against a 1-A team versus a school from the Sun Belt Conference.... and to add salt to the wound, the Red Raiders are talking about scoring 100 points this week-not a surprise since their starting QB threw 37 times in last week's blowout win-I always wondered if there would come a time that I would root for Mack Brown and Texas-now I know when that will happen-October 22nd in Austin.... Lots of people have e-mailed this week and want to know why we have the Mariners--simply put, it is better as the only all-sports station to have them, than not to have them-especially if they end up being good which could happen again next year.... it is a double edged sword with them though, good to have them in June, July and August, but not so good in September.
PAC-10 Picks with Big Suke and me tomorrow..... Canzano on from 2-3, then we have a wind sprint 3-4. Saturday: 1080 The Fan Tailgate with Suke and me from 10-11 AM and then Sports Saturday from 11AM-3PM.

Check this out:
Below is from the new marketing campaign for the Hornets in Oklahoma City.... The title of the campaign is
"OKLAHOMA CITY, THANKS FOR HELPING US GET BACK IN THE GAME"



More later, but I thought the above was interesting..... I know for a fact the small staff of top level Hornets employees have been working VERY HARD to make sure this isn't a lame duck season. By the way, what is the Blazers' marketing campaign this year? Anyone, Buhler, ANYONE? BUHLER? Not a criticism, just an observation. Oh, but here is a hint to both the Rose Quarter and the primary tenant at One Center Court, instead of bickering over who will paint what logos and words on the court, how about working TOGETHER on a ticket campaign. Free preseason game ticket giveaways DON'T COUNT. The Rose Quarter people at Global to have a campaign going, for premium seating and suites for concerts and sporting events, but I guess I have missed the Blazers advertising campaign. If it exists, it is what I would call the Portland State plan (see Canzano's Oregonian column last week) where only the marketing staff knows and hears about the actual campaign.

Thank you and goodbye.

6 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Michael Namba said...

Ian,

BTW Nice pic of fan girl Tina;) I agree about the local basketball team (I refuse to refer to them as the Blazers because in my eyes they are a shell of the team that was proud to carry that name)I find it odd that there has been no commercials or anything this close to the season starting, we always knew they did not care, maybe they are believing it now too.

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the ad campaign will be coming soon.

I filled out the brief survey to get my free tickets to a pre-season game and say some interesting new PR materials on those pages. First off, the header showed a collage of athletic looking player shots, with Nate's head front and center, MUCH larger than anything else. Nate is obviously going to be a centerpiece for the new ads.

They also stress getting to know these players, calling them by first names only (Martell. Jarett. Viktor. Zach. etc.). They are realistic in saying that young teams are scary, you never know what they do. But it always is fun to watch. They are stressing an EXCITING brand of basketball more than wins and losses. And the wording is simple, and to the point. I saw two slogans accompany the photo collage:

Consider the tempo upped.

Two gears: fast and faster.


I think the minds are in the right place for the new season's advertising. Perhaps the TV ads are waiting for good footage of Nate directing from a BLAZER bench, and shots of some of the new acquisitions in the game.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Christiana said...

I'm glad that you are going to be on today. Your program will be better than Dan Patrick even if you don't do anything other than read the phone book.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that enough people must have yelled at Dennis.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Dan said...

I love having baseball on the radio. It's easier to follow than other sports in this medium, but I agree the M's have been a bit of a drag this year. Hopefully next year will be better!

...who am I kidding!

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate the Mariners!! I hate them now, I hated them when they won all those games a few years ago (I did love the huge collapse though) and I hated them during the A-Rod, Griffey and Unit era. I do not live in Seattle and just because we do not have our own team and Seattle is the closest town to us is no reason to put them on. I actually like the city and enjoy visiting but I have no desire to ever hear or watch a Mariner or Seahawk game.

I have a hard time believing that they draw a better ratings than your normal broadcast regardless of the time of day. I recently was polled by a research company about which stations I listen to, and I told them "The Fan, except when they play the Mariners!" Quit supporting the suits, it was a crappy decision when you signed them and it gets worse every year.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Michael Namba said...

I personally love the M's being on the FAN. When they switched stations a couple of years ago I found it very annoying because I was missing FAN programming. I am also thankful for Ropp's baseball show, it is very good and insightful. Keep up the good work at the FAN and GO M'S!!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home